My love for marketing started in undergrad. Great marketing had the power to evoke emotions in people and unite them towards a common idea. I was so fascinated with that idea that I wrote a research paper exploring why people feel happy when consuming products for certain brands.
Since then, I have worked in different companies to create that sense of wonder through marketing campaigns and product development.
Learn more about my experiences by clicking any of the categories below:
Launching Contactless Payments on Transit in Singapore
In 2016, Mastercard partnered with Singapore’s Land Transport Authority (LTA) to pilot contactless payments on public transport. Contactless eliminates the need for a separate train ticket and fare top-ups, making journeys for the Singaporean commuter frictionless. The pilot was launched in March 2017.
- Worked closely with development team to bring pilot marketing campaign online within short span of 3 months
- Drove coordination between Mastercard and LTA for marketing activities
- Conceptualized product launch plans, acquisition and consumer education collaterals
- Simplified over 26 million journeys for 100,000 cardholders by December 2018
- LTA Pilots Account-Based Ticketing System for Public Transport with Mastercard
- Tap Mastercard-issued credit card to pay for bus, train fares
Launching MasterPass Express Checkout on Comfort Taxi App
MasterPass is a digital wallet solution allows users to check out faster online and in apps. We launched MasterPass in Singapore in 2014 and worked with strategic merchants to drive adoption. One such merchant was ComfortDelGro, the largest taxi company in the market.
What is MasterPass?
- Launched above-the-line (ATL) communications to increase awareness for MasterPass and drove acquisition through merchant offers
- Created cross-promotional offers across MasterPass-enabled merchants to demonstrate acceptance across everyday touch points
To increase consumer awareness of MasterPass in the Christmas season that is often crowded with ads, we enlisted the help of local comedians Irene Ang, Judee Tan and Chua Enlai in a web mini series to demonstrate how quickly you can pay with MasterPass:
- Over 10% of Comfort Taxi riders pay with MasterPass on a daily basis, and more than 50% pay with it four to five times monthly
- Active users tripled over the first 4 months of launch
- ComfortDelgro became the #1 MasterPass merchant in terms of transaction volume for 2014 & 2015
– The Smarties APAC – Best in Show (2016)
– The Smarties APAC – Gold for Mobile Payments (2016)
– The Smarties APAC – Gold for Product/Services Launch (2016)
– The Smarties APAC – Gold for Promotion (2016)
– The Smarties APAC – Silver for Lead Generation / Direct Response (2016)
DIGITAL & SOCIAL ENGAGEMENT
Mastercard celebrated the priceless bond between parent and child through a social engagement campaign leading up to Children’s Day. Cardholders shared their most precious moments with their children for a chance to win an exclusive experience of watching the Broadway musical Annie at the MasterCard Theatres.
Mastercard surprised a cardholder with a #PricelessNYE by flying her to London for a surprise reunion with an old friend. Cardholders were urged to share their #PricelessNYE stories on Social for a chance to win a trip of a lifetime with their loved ones.
- Pioneered the MasterCard Digital & Social Engine in Singapore, analyzing digital and social data to understand consumer preferences and serve them the right offer at the right time
- Collaborated closely with the Asia Pacific regional team and markets to ensure seamless delivery of priceless surprises
- Reached over 50 million consumers across APAC
- Engaged over 12 million consumers with content with 3.8 million people watching campaign videos and engagement rates over-indexing by 5X
- Drove over 2 million qualified leads to merchant partners with key merchants reporting +200% sales uplift during the campaign
Road to Milan
Vietnam was a notoriously cash-reliant market, with low usage penetration for Mastercard. We utilised the UEFA Champions League asset to drive usage using a proprietary CRM platform that made every transaction count towards a cardholder’s road to the finals in Milan.
- Worked closely with the Vietnamese account management team to ensure successful campaign delivery
- Drove strong cardholder usage through hyper-relevant targeting of merchant offers to cardholders through Social
- Reached 58 million people in Vietnam at 1 cent per user
- Digital share of voice grew from 20% to 70%
- Total transactions increased 16x
– WARC Prize for Asian Strategy, Entrant (2017);
– Loyalty & Engagement Awards – Best Use of Rewards & Incentives (2016)
The MasterCard Heartometer
By 2015, the Great Singapore Sale sponsorship asset had become outmoded. Cardholders were shopping online and excited about deals throughout the year instead of waiting for the annual sale to make their purchase. We used the sale season to stake a big claim on e-Commerce, owning both online and offline spaces with offers across both platforms.
- Conceptualized the Mastercard Heartometer, rewarding cardholders for using their Mastercard for eCommerce deals throughout the Great Singapore Sale
- Each cardholder contributed to unlocking new promo codes for others, with the top offer being a pair of open-dated SilkAir tickets to Bali
- Achieved +5.6% e-commerce spend and +9.8% transactions in 2015, establishing Mastercard in e-Commerce space
– Singapore Media Awards – Best Use of Data (2016)
The Priceless Surprises Machine
What if you could get a surprise simply by shopping with your Mastercard? The Priceless Surprises Machine appeared in different popular shopping malls to reward cardholders with anything from a shopping voucher to an all expenses paid trip to see Justine Timberlake live in Sydney.
- Led interagency team across ATL, Digital, PR and Activation, giving away thousands of surprises over the 8-week Great Singapore Sale period
- +11.2% cardholder spend and +12.5% transaction volume during the Great Singapore Sale vs. year ago
Shiseido White Lucent Orchard Road Pop-up
Shiseido White Lucent is the brand’s range of whitening skincare. We launched a pop-up store in the middle of Orchard Road in celebration of White Day – a day where men express their feelings to women with gifts on 14 March.
- Developed marketing strategy for campaign as part of undergraduate final year project including 3C industry analysis, campaign concept, pre-event promotions, event execution and post-campaign evaluation.
- Over 100 invited guests turned up for the celebrity event
- Media coverage by Her World Plus and Toggle
- Triple-digit growth in Shiseido White Lucent sales volume and revenue vs. year ago
Online Retail Feasibility Study for Estee Lauder Companies
As an intern at Estee Lauder Companies in 2013, I analysed the attractiveness of entry into the e-commerce space for our brands.
- Clinique, Origins and Bobbi Brown entered online retail through the local beauty startup Luxola in May 2015.
Marketing Analytics for Mondelez
Working in Marketing Analytics at Mondelez, I supported the Regional Analytics Manager in sales and volumetric analytics across all product categories using Nielsen data.
- Advocated region-wide digital media adoption as part of Asia Pacific Digital Council, moving ROI measurement from traditional TVC effectiveness surveys to hybrid Digital ROI approach
- Analyzed price and packaging of confectionery across three product categories across APAC, providing recommendation that led to rebranding and increase in price of Cadbury Eclairs in India
Championed design thinking and created new children’s exhibit and digital product for the Singapore Zoo
How might we design an experience that will help families to create memories and children to nurture a love for animals and nature? I tackled that design challenge by introducing design thinking into the Singapore Zoo.
- Spearheaded design thinking project in the Singapore Zoo, training over 20 design thinking internal champions and 40 senior management
- Drove new exhibit design process utilizing methods such as user research, user journey mapping, storyboarding, protyping, etc
- Presented new KidzWorld design proposal to Board of Directors and received unanimous approval
- The Rainforest KidzWorld was designed based on the design thinking project and will be completed in the near future
- Co-developed the My Animal Buddy digital product, allowing children to adopt a Zoo buddy from home and learn essential life skills through animal-based content
Beyond Marketing, I love helping people design communication collaterals for their programs and events. Here are some pieces that are especially close to heart.
None of these projects are through my effort alone. I have had the good fortune of working with immensely talented people over the years, and together we have delivered some amazing results.
Here’s a highlight of some of our achievements:
- WARC Prize for Asian Strategy – Entrant (2017) for Road to Milan
- Loyalty & Engagement Awards – Best Use of Rewards & Incentives (2016) for Road to Milan
- The Smarties APAC – Best in Show (2016) for MasterPass Product Launch
- The Smarties APAC – Gold for Mobile Payments (2016) for MasterPass Product Launch
- The Smarties APAC – Gold for Product/Services Launch (2016) for MasterPass Product Launch
- The Smarties APAC – Gold for Promotion (2016) for MasterPass Product Launch
- The Smarties APAC – Silver for Lead Generation / Direct Response (2016) for MasterPass Product Launch
- Singapore Media Awards – Best Use of Data (2016) for the Great Singapore Sale
- The Stevie Awards – Brand Experience f the Year (2014) for the Great Singapore Sale